Rosemary-Garlic Pork Roast with Whipped Sweet Potatoes

Rosemary-Garlic Pork Roast with Whipped Sweet Potatoes -

This pork roast recipe is flavorful and perfect with sweet potatoes. Enjoy it as a holiday meal…or a tasty touch to a weeknight!

My friend Kim Tilley, who comes from the Midwest and is a phenomenal cook, serves this flavorful pork roast to her family.  The sweet potatoes are the perfect complement to the savory pork. Serve it with simple mixed vegetables.

Rosemary-Garlic Pork Roast with Whipped Sweet Potatoes

Prep Time: 20 Minutes + Cook Time: 30-40 Minutes

6 servings


  • 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. boneless pork loin roast or pork tenderloin, or use bone-in chicken pieces
  • 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, (about 5 cloves)
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh or dried rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 3/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, (about 5 potatoes), peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 – 2 Tbsp. maple syrup or brown sugar, to taste
  • 1 – 2 Tbsp. butter, to taste
  • 1/2 cup nonfat or low fat milk


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Put the meat in a large roasting pan.  In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Rub the mixture all over the top and sides of the meat (If using pork tenderloin, fold the skinny piece under so you have a piece with somewhat uniform thickness.) Roast the meat for 30-40 minutes (check it after 25 minutes for pork tenderloin) until it is cooked through, or has an internal temperature of 160 degrees.  Cut it into slices to serve it.

While the meat is cooking, cover the sweet potatoes with water in a large saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat.  Simmer the potatoes until they are fork tender, 10-15 minutes.  (Meanwhile, prepare the mixed vegetables, if you are serving them.)  Drain them thoroughly, and whip them in a mixing bowl with the butter, syrup or sugar, and milk, until they are smooth.  [Optional:  Transfer the whipped potatoes to a small casserole and put them in the oven with the pork roast until the tops of the potatoes start to brown.]  Serve them hot

Slow Cooker Directions:  

Follow the pork recipe as above, placing the pork in the slow cooker and covering with rub mixture.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.  Prepare the potatoes as directed above.

(Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)

Do Ahead or Delegate:  

Peel the garlic, make the spice rub, peel and chop the sweet potatoes, marinate the pork in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.


Pork can dry out quickly, so rely on your meat thermometer rather than appearance, to judge when it is done.

Scramble Flavor Booster: 

Season the pork with extra freshly ground black pepper.

Side Dish Suggestion: Mixed Vegetables

Defrost the vegetables in the microwave or on the stovetop until they are just hot (don’t overcook). Stir in the butter and salt and serve.

Nutritional Information per Serving (% based upon Daily Values):

Calories 360, Total Fat: 10g, 15%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 13%; Cholesterol: 75mg, 25%; Sodium: 270mg, 11%; Total Carbohydrate: 38g, 13%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 24%; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 28g

Six O'Clock Scramble gluten-free menu ad

Join my mailing list and you'll get blog posts on a daily or weekly basis.

Join the Discussion

Aviva Goldfarb

Aviva Goldfarb is a Washington Post contributor, author of 4 cookbooks, and founder of The Six O’Clock Scramble, an online healthy meal planner. She writes about food, cocktails, travel and parenting, is an entrepreneur, and a marketing consultant for food related ventures.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *